Monday, March 9, 2009

Fanboys and Tardy Friends

This expText Colorerience starts about two weeks in advance of the actual movie screening. Every day I checked Fandango for tickets to go online. Even to this day I'm not exactly sure if they were officially on sale, but opening day was so I went into panic mode and bought a pair for me and my girlfriend (who first introduced me to Watctmen the year before). With all the excitement during our two week wait we began bragging and ultimatly inviting people. And then those people began inviting people. By the day of the opening we had a group of 7, fully aware that there would be no way to get such a large group together in such an anticipated opening. 

Friday night rolls along and my girlfriend and I arrive at the theater an hour and twenty minutes before only to find a line that is not only long but thick. Groups of fanboy nerds huddled together in circles dissolving the shape of a strait line. We got on line and not a word was spoken, as the two of us were too busy listening to the corny jokes from the 30 year old comic book reading live at home losers who I happen to call my own. It was the first time God explained to me that comic book geeks weren't cool. They're comidic genius was proven through jokes like "Soon there will be Pokemon: Penis and Pokemon: Vagina" and that my friends is an actual quote. Whats worse was the deafening laughter that came right after from the rest of the group. 

Times ticking and none of the 5 other people have showed up, regardless of our endless phone calls. The line starts moving, the tension rises as the quest for perfect seats begin, and my girlfriend and I are left to fend for an entire group of people. I look at her and say "Either your friends are getting screwed or my friends are." To our surprise we find quite an empty row smack in the middle; the perfect seats. At this point we're basically running, holding hands to not lose each other in the current of fanboys. We get to the half empty row and manage to save four seats as another group of four men sit down before we have a chance to claim them. So it looks like my friends of 3 got screwed over her friends of 2, which really didn't work because the three musketeers got there first. To this day I haven't spoken to any one of them and I think they're angry at me (for those of you who care they got good seats. Its a happy ending America.) 

The previews begin and while Terminator Salvation, Star Trek, and Up appear the crowed begins to clap. I'm cracking up at the extremes that these people can get, but thats what I get for going opening day to the movie adaptation to the greatest graphic novel of all time, and thats usually not an opinion. The remaining two arrive seconds before the production company introductions. The movie itself was perfectly described by the Facebook status of a friend of mine: "Saw Watchmen. Met my expectations. Satisfied." The action was cool, the soundtrack was great, they saved as much as they could from the storyline. The usual, you can't expect it to be an exact science. I suggest watching it to watch it and be mildly entertained. But for those of you scared of bones breaking DO NOT see this movie. 

5 comments:

  1. Really? A long thick line? I saw it on Friday and it was half empty, it was shocking...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw it in a sold out IMAX theater, so long lines don't surprise me too much. Thanks for the shout out to my facebook status.

    (this is Ian)

    RC [I]

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah it is just to get the first one done. Titles are not my forte.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will not see this movie until it is out on bluray where I can skip these bones breaking.

    You want to push the envelope EVERY fucking time, hollywood? Fine. I will keep my 12 bucks then.

    ReplyDelete